Ascension Living has its “top picks” of activities in the area to finish out the Christmas break.
With just a few more days left to the winter break before the kiddos must go back to school and many of us have to go back to work, we thought it would be a good idea to share with you our TOP PICKS of activities to help your Christmas break end with a bang! (Oh, and without breaking your bank too!)
- Local Parks: We love going to the local parks because they have so much fun to offer our children especially on a beautiful day. Over the last years, Ascension parish has really set parks and recreation as a priority with updating old facilities and incorporating new playgrounds. If your tykes like swings, slides and monkey bars, then we suggest one of our favorites: the Jambalaya Park, Oak Grove Playground or Kidz Kove. If outdoor sports are your family’s thing, we suggest the tennis courts at the Municipal park; the baseball fields at Butch Gore or Steven’s Park; the t-ball fields over at Paula Park; the volleyball court over at the Oak Grove playground; the soccer fields at T-Joe park; shoot hoops at Duplessis park or ride the ramps at the Skate Board park. Either way you choose, both Ascension parish parks and the City of Gonzales parks are a great place to spend quality family time without spending money. If you would like to learn more about each park and the amenities offered, be sure to visit Ascension parish parks or City of Gonzales parks for more information.
- Premier Lanes Entertainment Center: With the recent addition of Premier Lanes Entertainment Center, Ascension has added a huge entertainment complex to help keep our families busy and keep us local. If your family prefers indoor activities, then you will want to take a short ride to the Premier Lanes Entertainment Center. Here families can bowl, play in the arcade, ride bumper cars and play laser tag…and it can all be done inside!
- Board Games: Yes, you heard us correctly…board games are one of our favorites. What’s better than family time around the dining table talking, laughing and playing board games! One of the reasons we love this activity so much is because it opens opportunity for communication between family members and the whole family no matter their age can play along.
- Read a Good Book: Our parish has an abundance of free books just waiting for us to take home and borrow. Reading is relaxing and fun. Take the children to your local library and have them pick out a good book, then take turns reading the books to one another. In addition, each of our local libraries have beautiful children’s reading areas filled with cushy child-size chairs, mats, computers and so much more. The only problem you will have when you bring your children to the library is getting them to want to leave! Click here to learn more details about your local library.
- Camp Outs: Put on an extra pair of clothes on, grab the sleeping bags and run to the back yard to pop a tent for a family camp out. Start a small fire (adult supervision highly recommended), roast marsh mellows, tell camp stories and do a little star gazing. Don’t have a tent or worried the weather will be too cold? No worries, create a tent in the living room and tell camp stories and make s’mores in the microwave instead of by a fire.
Surely with the list of our top picks, you will be able to find the perfect activities to make the end of your Christmas break memorable.